1979: (Year 20)
- The dedication of the A.L. McPhail Library was held on Friday 23rd March.
- The girls' grey gym tunic is replaced by a grey wool-terylene pinafore with a bib-top. For senior girls, the bib top may be removed transforming the pinafore into a skirt.
- The Minister of Education defers the plans for extra playing fields until at least 1984.
- Former pupil Nick Banks (1965-1969) reaches the summit of Mt. Everest to become the 2nd New Zealander and the 100th person in the world to have achieved this.
- Music:- Brass Band, Concert Band, String Orchestra and Choir have successful years with Spotswood hosting Tawa.
- Sports teams:- 4 Cricket, Cycling, 2 Boys' and 1 Girls' Hockey, 5 Rugby, Boys' and Girls' Volleyball,
- Sports trips to Freyberg and Tawa continued.
- Tawa won the debating competition but Vicki Fairley won the cup again for the best speech
- Administrational changes to take place in 1980 as the "schools within a school" system will revert back to one school with 4 houses.