Selecting the Staff(1959-1961)
The position of Principal was advertised in June 1959 and from a shortlist Mr. Alex L. McPhail of Heretaunga College, Upper Hutt was appointed at a special Board meeting on July 1959.
In September 1959 the Board appointed Mr. Terry Sweeney as First Assistant and Miss Alison Simpson as Senior Assistant Mistress, while Mr. W. A. Connor was appointed as the Assistant-Secretary to the Board.
In February 1960, Mrs. Beatrice Emmett was appointed Librarian, and in November, four additional appointments were approved:
Mr. Terry O. Fitzgibbon (English, French, Social Studies); Mr. George A. Proctor (Woodwork); Miss Carol Scott (Homecraft) and Mr. Philps Deerson (from the USA, Mathematics, French).
In October 1960 the appointments of Miss Joan Foster and Mr. Don Frank (Geography, Social Studies) were confirmed; and Mr. Neville Northover (English, Social Studies) and Mr. Donald McDonald (Science, Mathematics) were appointed from 1st February 1961.
In November 1960 Mr. Terry Guy (Metalwork) was appointed from 1st February 1961.
In March, 1961 Mr. Clarry F. West was appointed groundsman and there were ongoing references to tree planting and development of the grounds.
In June, 1961 Mr. Jo and Mrs. Ann Baker (from the UK) were appointed and in July Mr. Alan Page (English).
Further appointments during 1961 were Miss Marie Beck (Commercial), Mrs. N. Smith (History), and Mr. John Barrowman (HOD Mathematics).
A lunch service was also established by Mrs. Avis Snell.